Sunday, January 01, 2006

Welcome 2006

For the first time in several years, Terry and I went to a New Year’s Eve party. (I say several years. I don’t know if we have ever been to a New Year’s Eve party together. Usually one of us has had to work that day and is tired, or has to work the next day and needs sleep.)

Anyway, one of the Knitwits had a few of us over to her house. We all brought snacks, and we visited and played games. I had never heard of Mystify, but if we ever play it again, everyone will be angling to be my partner. It’s an anagram game, and my years of doing crossword puzzles and Jumble served me well.

Terry had worked all day, so we barely hung on until midnight. At midnight, Kim passed around a piece of paper and had us each write down our resolutions, which she filed away for next year. Now, I don’t do resolutions, and even if I did, I wouldn’t go yakking about it. If I want to do or change something, I am more likely to jump right into it, and let people ask about it if they notice a difference.

But I had to write down something, so I wrote, “Finish more things than I start.” The knitters, of course, understood that sentiment. I admire people who can start a project and see it through without wavering, but I have not been able to do that with knitting. When I sorted through my yarn a couple of weeks ago, I also gathered up the unfinished projects and put them together. Some of them need to be finished. A couple of them may need to be frogged, if I decide I don’t like them well enough to continue on. The sock I’ve been working on for two years? Maybe not the right pattern for that yarn, or I would have finished long ago. I need to get some of those things out of the way, to make room for other stuff that I really

I’ve been wondering what to do with my Fever Dreams calendar, since I don’t use a desk calendar. Sand assured me last week that there was no need to keep it in pristine condition, and that I should use it and enjoy it, even if I didn’t need it as a calendar. She wrote in her blog, “I'd like to produce something every day. Even if it was crappy doodles.” I’ve decided that the calendar will be my crappy doodle book. I can use the calendar part as a day book (and have already started doing so) and there is plenty of other space for flights of fancy. There are pictures, too, ready for coloring, and some free space for legitimate doodling. If I made resolutions, I would resolve to add to it every day. As it is, I will just keep it nearby and see what happens.

(addendum: Just checking this for Aser.)

3 comments:

Aser said...

Uh, thanks for reminding me of my resolution, Cheryl.

Cheryl said...

You're welcome. Just saying "crappy doodles" makes me laugh. The Year of Crappy Doodles? Priceless.

Chet said...

Cheryl - all the very best to you and Terry this year. :)