Friday, September 02, 2005

Modern times

It still amazes me that I can sit on the bed in a hotel room in Great Bend, Kansas, and post information to the internet from a laptop that is not plugged into anything at all.

It amazes me even more because I am here for my high school reunion. So many things have changed since 1975 - computers being one of the most obvious. Terry always reminds me that I have more computing power in the PDA in my purse than my school's huge punch-card computer had in 1974. Even PDA has changed in meaning. Back in the day, that stood for Public Display of Affection.

Tonight, we gathered at a local bar to get reacquainted. Some people I remember. Some names I recognize. Some people I do not remember at all. It's even worse for me, since we moved away before I graduated, and I missed the last year and a half with these kids. But it was still fun, and I look forward to tomorrow's activities - a tour of the school, and dinner at the former country club.

Here's a tip for anyone who is going to a reunion beyond the fifth. Tonight, I heard two different people say, "Everyone is easy to recognize. Their eyes don't change." I don't know if I agree, but it is worth trying.

2 comments:

Kathy Keller said...

Wow Cheryl, I've seen your picture and I would have never put you as a 70s decade graduate. Never. I thought you were my age, 39, or younger. Want to share your secret?

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I've been reading your blog for awhile, I guess I found it on the Alphasmart website, but didn't know you were from Great Bend. I went to KU from '74 to '78 and knew a few kids from your area 'bout your age.

Let's see... there were the Reinhardt brothers, I knew the older one, Russell, the best, but he had a younger brother in your grade, I think. And I knew Kathy Evans - I think she was a year older than you.

At any rate, it looks like you had fun - it's so odd going to those things after all this time.