Sunday, May 18, 2008

Spring blazes forth


iris
Originally uploaded by chaimann
Spring reached critical mass a couple of weeks ago. That's the day when I look off in the distance, maybe down the river I cross on the way to work, or at the hills near the reservoir, and I see more green than brown.

Since then, things have been greening up with a vengeance. We have had to mow several times. The lilacs have bloomed and are starting to fade, but every now and then, the breeze still sends a puff of their scent through my window.

A few days ago, I noticed that the irises were budding. They haven't bloomed for a couple of years, presumably because I am a neglectful gardener who never remembers to divide them in the fall. Last night, I had to rinse something off with the garden hose, so I gave the iris a drinks while I was at it. This morning, when we left for church, I saw this beauty.

No comments: